Sunday, March 15, 2009

Newfound Capacity

On a lighter note, I've become infinitely more adept at making friends with complete strangers. On occasions where I'm at a social gathering with a mix of people I know and don't know I would invariably limit myself to interactions with people I already know, and perhaps meet someone new if they were introduced to me. During the orientation weeks and the following time, you're forced to meet new people, but everyone is looking to do the same so the atmosphere is entirely different and people are much more open. Now that there has been time for a lot of small groups or clicks to form, its a challenge of confidence and first impressions. Perhaps I've been conditioned, and it will fade once I return home to my comfort zone. I think it has more to do with the continuing success of it. Each time I barge myself into a tight circle of strangers, meet them one by one, and get invited to join their conversation it gets easier. I can't venture a guess as to why it seemed like a good idea the first time, but I like it.

No comments:

Post a Comment